What is TEX-ABOTA?
If you are a member of ABOTA in the state of Texas you are also a member of TEX-ABOTA. You don’t have to do or change a thing about your ABOTA membership; it’s automatic.
TEX-ABOTA is the umbrella, or regional, organization for the 16 chapters in Texas. It is a non-profit (501(c)(6) corporation. It was formed in 1991 and Dallas lawyer Bob Vial served as Chairman until 1995.
TEX-ABOTA has its own Executive Board and Board of Directors. The Board of Directors of the organization are comprised of the following, per revised By-Laws in 2015:
- (a) President,
- (b) President-elect,
- (c) Vice-President,
- (d) Secretary,
- (e) The Past Presidents of TEX-ABOTA for the previous three (3) years,
- (f) The Presidents of each of the Texas chapters of the American Board of Trial Advocates,
- (g)The immediate Past-Presidents of each of the Texas chapters of the American Board of Trial Advocates,
- (h) The Presidents-Elect/Vice Presidents of each of the Texas Chapters of the American Board of Trial Advocates, and
- (i) The National Board representatives from each of the Texas Chapters of ABOTA selected by that chapter. The representative must be a member of the American Board of Trial Advocates and must be a designated representative of his or her chapter on the National Board of the American Board of Trial Advocates.
Participation in TEX-ABOTA events offers members the opportunity to connect with ABOTA members all across the state. Texas has over 1,200 members and is one of the largest regional chapters in ABOTA.
TEX-ABOTA currently has two events that have become very popular with our members:
- TEX-ABOTA Santa FE CLE Roundup & Board Meeting & Annual Dinner (held in Santa Fe, NM since 2008). Click here to see photos from our 2010 and 2009 events.
- Annual Member Dinner Dance & Board Meeting, now held during our Annual Santa Fe CLE Roundup in Santa Fe
If your chapter needs help with emailing announcements or invitations to your events, TEX-ABOTA can help get you the information you need. If you have questions about possible activities for your chapters or resources available to you, TEX-ABOTA can help. If you need to communicate with another chapter, another state, another region or the whole country, we can help. Contact Executive Director Cay Dickson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Texas chapters as of 2018 include:
- Bryan-College Station
- Central West Texas
- Corpus Christi
- East Texas
- El Paso
- Fort Worth
- Rio Grande Valley
- San Antonio